Xiaomi claims to have the safest Android skin – MIUI. Also, Xiaomi has a very good firewall to prevent access to the user’s database. If any breach found in MIUI, it will fix with the next security patch level update. So we can say MIUI or Xiaomi is safe for us to use and secure data from hackers. As you have already guessed, we decided to introduce you the privacy of MIUI. Well, let’s start.
What Information is Collected By Xiaomi
In order to provide their services to you, they will ask you to provide personal information. As Xiaomi proves, they only collect the information that is necessary for specified, concrete, explicit and legitimate purposes. You have the right to choose whether or not to provide the information they have requested. But in most cases, if you do not provide your personal information, they may not be able to provide you with their products or services or respond to your queries.
Depending on the service you choose, they may collect the following types of information:
- Information you provide to them. They may collect any personal information you provide to them, which is necessary for the service you choose.
- The information that they collect in your use of services. For example, they may collect and use the information such as your advertising ID assigned by third party service providers and business partners.
- Information from third-party sources. For example, the information about you that others provided to them. (e.g. your delivery address that other users may provide to them when they buy products for you via mi.com services).
- Non-personally identifiable information. For example, they may also collect other types of information. Which are not directly or indirectly linked to an individual and which may not be defined as personal information according to applicable local laws. Such information known for non-personally identifiable information.
How Xiaomi Uses The Personal Information Collected?
The purpose of collecting personal information is to provide you with products and/or services and also to ensure that they comply with applicable laws, regulations and other regulatory requirements. This involves:
- Providing, processing, maintaining, improving and developing their products and/or services to you. It includes delivery, activation, verification, after-sales, customer support, and advertising.
- Implementing and maintaining security safeguards for the purpose of preventing loss and fraud. This includes assisting in identifying users, verifying user identity.
- Handling your questions or requests about devices and services, such as answering customer inquiries.
- Conducting relevant promotional activities, such as providing marketing and promotional materials and updates
- Internal purposes, such as data analysis, research, and development of statistical information. That related to the use of our products or services to improve our products or services and etc.
How Xiaomi Transfers, Shares, and Publicly Discloses Your Personal Information?
Firstly, Xiaomi will not transfer your information to any subject except in the following cases:
- Where they have obtained your explicit consent.
- If Xiaomi is involved in the merger, acquisition, or sale of all or part of its assets that may affect your personal information. They will notify you of any changes in the ownership, use. Any choice you may have regarding your personal information by email and/or by posting a prominent notice on their websites or other appropriate means.
They don’t sell any personal information to third parties. They may sometimes share your personal information with third parties in order to provide or improve their products or services, including offering products or services based on your requirements.
Xiaomi may publicly disclose your personal information under the following circumstances:
- When they need to announce a winner of a promotion, competition, or sweepstake, in which case they only publish limited information;
- When they have obtained your explicit consent, or you have disclosed the information via their services such as on social media pages or public forums;
- Public disclosure based on law or reasonable grounds: including laws and regulations, legal procedures, litigation, or at the request of the competent government departments.
Xiaomi Stores and Protects Your Personal Information
Xiaomi’s security safeguards: they really want to keep your personal information secure. In order to prevent unauthorized access, disclosure or other similar risks, they have put in place all legally required physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information they collect on your mobile device and on Xiaomi websites. They ensure that they safeguard your personal information in accordance with applicable law.
Your Personal Information is Transferred Globally
- The personal information that they collect and generate in operations within the territory of Mainland China is stored in data centers located in Mainland China. Except for cross-border transmissions as permitted by applicable law.
- Information they collect and generate in our operations in Russia is processed and stored in data centers located in Russia. Except for cross-border transmissions permitted under Russian law.
- Information they collect and generate in our operations in India is processed and stored in data centers located in India.
Security and Privacy in MIUI 12.5
MIUI 12.5 offers enhancements in security and privacy like the fact that you get a prompt now when an app tries to access the clipboard data. You now have the option to deny the access. Similar options are available in iOS 14 that also restricts access to the clipboard. The new update also gives users the option to share an approximate location rather the accurate location to ensure that their privacy is safe.
It also comes with a sandbox option so that private photos and information stays safe from prying eyes. It also highlights some of the webpage details so that it can give you information about your browsing experience. There are also updates for Xiaomi Health services. The Mi Cloud and Xiaomi claims that the new UI offers no bloatware with minimum pre-installed applications.